Trusted Resources: People & Places
Healthcare providers, researchers, and advocates
Children’s National Medical Center – Neuromuscular Medicine Program111 Michigan Avenue NW
Washington, DC, United States
Email Phone Web
The Neuromuscular Medicine Program at Children’s National Hospital provides expert comprehensive and compassionate care for the evaluation, management and treatment of infants, children and teenagers with neuromuscular conditions. As one of the largest referral sites for children for neuromuscular care and treatment in the Washington, D.C., region, our program leverages the expertise of our specialists to provide highly coordinated care that emphasizes improving your child’s quality of life and health.
Our Neuromuscular Program offers the following services:
• Comprehensive clinical evaluations
• Genetic counseling: We provide in depth and compassionate genetic counseling and testing ranging from personalized sequencing panels tailored to your child’s symptoms to broad testing such as whole exome sequencing approaches
We also offer treatments and diagnostic testing such as:
• Braces, splints, Angel Arms and WREX
• Leading-edge medications like Spinraza™ and ZOLGENSMA®, new therapies for spinal muscular atrophy, and Exondys 51 to treat Duchenne muscular dystrophy
• Nutrition counseling
• Physical therapy
• Positioning aids to help children sit, stand or lie down
• Psychological counseling
• Speech and swallowing therapy
• Electrodiagnostics (EMG)/nerve conduction studies
• Muscle ultrasound
• Skin and muscle biopsy
• Genetic testing (eg: next generation sequencing and whole exome sequencing)
• Serologic testing (blood testing)
• Augmentative communications
• Surgical interventions
• Pulmonary function studies
• Echocardiogram/cardiac MRI
• Durable medical equipment
• Occupational therapy
Emma Ciafaloni, MDDr. Ciafaloni is a Professor of Neurolog...
Alex Fay, PhDDr. Alex Fay is a pediatric neurologist ...
George Z. Mentis, PhDGeorge Mentis received pursued B.Sc in P...
New Components for Antisense Gene Therapy Show Promise in Treating Spinal Muscular AtrophySkoltech researchers and their colleague...
The Pediatric SMA Clinic – Columbia UniversityThe Pediatric SMA Clinic is committed to...
Systematic Literature Review to Assess the Cost and Resource Use Associated With Spinal Muscular Atrophy ManagementSpinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is a sever...
Family, Healthcare Professional, and Societal Preferences for the Treatment of Infantile Spinal Muscular Atrophy: A ...Aim: To understand the factors that most...